Monday, November 14, 2005

The Collective

Reading this back, it's a bit scattered. But lets just go with it....

A friend and I are discussing the formation of a creative collective. I don't know if/how it would end up but I've been giving it some thought. It's caused me to really nail down what my vision is. Elements of it have changed from time to time but the core has always been there, if not always close enough to the surface for me to be able to articulate it.

Creative and artistic people are, in my guess, among the most hurt in the church. I don't think that the church knows how to deal with them that effectively. The creative person is highly quirky, I'll be the first to admit. And probably among the easiest offended also.

The prophetic person is also easily offended and does not easily assimilate into church life. Could it be that there are similarities? Are they one and the same type of person? Possibly. Probably.

The prophetic person hears from God and needs to articulate it to someone. The creative person hears from God and needs to articulate it somehow.

Art is prophetic. Prophecy is art. Or it can be at any rate. When the artist commits him/herself to the Work or the Creation, what springs forth is communication from the Spirit. The Work itself is alive and has an agenda. The Work itself can speak to the soul and spirit in a way never intended by the artist.

I think the church doesn't know what to do with the artistic or prophetic because neither are safe. They both can be a conduit for God and unfortunately, a conduit for pride. They both will have things to say that may not be popular, and both may get things wrong.

Every other gift or ministry is encouraged or practiced. Gift of helps? Serve here and there. Gift of mercy? Get plugged into our hospice ministry. Gift of teaching? How about leading a cell? Gift of prophecy? How about serving with our kids or ushering?

If prophetic are not always the most controlled and accurate, maybe it's because they don't get trained and allowed to practice. Also, we tend to treat prophets with Old Testament judgment (stoning for a missed word) and not New Testament grace. If a pastor misses it, a teacher errs, no problem. But if a prophet gets it wrong, the ushers are running to get the covenant stones in the lobby for a good OT stoning.

Granted, there needs to be accountability. But there also needs to be understanding and grace. And the word of the prophet should be a piece of a puzzle, never a whole picture. We also need to leave room for the change of heart. If God says "Repent or the city will burn" and the city never burns, could it be that the people repented? We are so quick to say "See the city never burned! False prophet! Crucify him!".

Paul says in 1 Corinthians "desire earnestly to prophecy." So then, should we not do that? Before that, just after the love chapter, just after "the greatest of these is love," he says "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy." Since there are no chapters in the original text, it can be read as:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.


So what does this have to do with anything? Where does that bring us? To my vision I suppose. I want to engage culture. I want to see excellence in art, virtue in beauty, and strength in community. I want to see the creativity of the Creator displayed in creation. I want to see prayer effect our time. I want to see the prophetic gifts explored and functioning. I believe that the prophetic nature of art and the artistic nature of prophecy are very closely linked.

I value excellence, beauty, community, integrity, love, compassion, truth, mission, intercession, teaching, humility, joy, and influence. I want to impact, engage, and infiltrate. I want to see God reflected in a collage of color, shape, sound, and sense.

The creative collective, then, incorporates all these things. Perhaps this is anoallasso.

To train the creative of God to listen to the voice that directs us in creation, speaks to us of beauty, commands us to speak, write, dance, and play.

To create an atmosphere where skills and talents can be sharpened without fear.

To promote excellence in every endeavor of God's people.

To infiltrate culture with the Gospel of Love through the arts.

To establish a house of prayer that receives the hurting and broken and sends the restored.

To finance the spread of the Gospel to the nations through entrepreneurial endeavors.

To recognize the Creator through creation and break the bonds of tradition that would define creative apart from the Creator and awaken the creativity of the Creator in each of His creations.


So that's it. That's a lot. But that's my vision. Rather, it's His vision that he has entrusted to me for the time being. Unless of course I've missed it once again. If that's the case, I pray I find a place like I just described that I might be a part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home