Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Jacob's Dream

I'm totally stuck on this piece. And it wasn't intended to "say" what it "says" to me. But that's good art.

This artist has lots of cool stuff. Please check him out and buy something. I'm going to buy this piece for my office/prayer room. His name is Robert Scott. His website is www.robertscottart.com.

Robert Scott has called this Jacob's Dream. To me, it sums up prayer. It sums up the Emerging Church. When I look at this, I see a 20-30 something average joe. He's thinking, reflecting, praying and being answered.

In Jacob's dream "he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it." Jesus also said "Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

That's what this says to me. Angels ascend with the prayer and descend with the answer. And prayer isn't limited to church, the prayer closet, the dinner table. We are to pray continually. At work, at play, on walks, everywhere.

This piece shows me. Praying anywhere.

And angels are on the way with the response. The writer of Hebrews says it this way about angels...

Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

1 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Ray Fleming said...

Greetings.

This is the first time I've visited your blog. I've read quite a few of your posts and am impressed by your ability to ask questions that make me think. Even though we are different ages and a country away from each other, I'm attempting to process this Postmodern enigma and how that fits into the emerging church. I'll check back from time to time.

As for today's entry, I liked your interpretation of Robert Scott's art. Our communication with God does indeed go two ways.

ray.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home